Thursday, December 14, 2017

My tum tum, and hallucinations

I'm not normally one to blog with status updates, but this one has a couple interesting twists.

I have a moderately bad stomach bug of some kind. Not too hard to believe, since I spent three days in court with all sorts of people, visited a museum, saw a movie, and the lovely household that was hosting me included someone who had just gotten over a bad stomach bug. I projectile vomited yesterday evening, and have had diarrhea x36 hours. Cold sweats all night, aches, low grade fever, the usual.

So I'm hydrating, only consuming water, tea, broth, and electrolytes; might introduce bananas or applesauce tonight or tomorrow, depending on how I'm feeling (right now that sounds unpleasant.) I'm also tracking all of my input and output (which might make for a really disgusting blog post soon. We'll see.)

That's the boring stuff.

The much more interesting stuff to me:

1) the human body is a pretty amazing thing. I had a seven hour Amtrak trip home yesterday. While I didn't feel great, it wasn't horrible. But then within about two minutes of being home, as I was beginning to unpack, my body immediately told me it was time to vomit. I literally ran to the bathroom, and did so rather explosively. It pretty amazing that the body and brain can communicate in this way.

Confidential to my body: THX THX THX for not making me worship the porcelain steel god on a long distance Amtrak train! 

2) even more interesting, both last night, and this morning, my sense of hearing, and sight, are both significantly more intense than usual. I mean, I live in a big old 120 year old house, so there are always house sounds. But I mostly tune them out. I heard creaks and stuff so much more last night, to the point it was a little scary. Saw stuff that is always there, but it was so much more vivid. Last night it was to the point where I was beginning to wonder if I was having auditory and visual hallucinations. I thought I heard music playing, though the only other person in the house who could have been playing it, I've never once heard music from that room (it's down the stairs and behind two doors.)

There is one shower that I use almost daily, and there is a particular shampoo bottle in it that makes a single, slight popping noise every morning when it warms up from the warm water. This morning it was a sharp crack, to the point where it actually startled me a little bit.

Folding my laundry last night actually winded me a little bit. So I'm taking today very easy, which is a good excuse to listen to podcasts and catch up on sewing projects and the like.

No comments: