Saturday, February 20, 2016

An end of another era

I bought my Camelbak Blowfish in spring 2002, to go on a mountain biking trip in Moab. I have loved this pack close to death. It has been to six continents, and on countless adventures.

You can see the places I've sewn it, and can't see other places that I've repaired it:



The Playa is a cruel mistress, and both main zippers failed in August 2015. I cleaned and lubed the everliving hell out of the zippers, but they continue to fail. I sewed a new zipper into the smaller exterior pocket, and made the expansion zipper for the main pocket the primary zipper (by sewing the main large pocket shut with dental floss) but alas, this wasn't meant to last. At least not for more than 14 years.

After a bunch of ebay'ing with a bunch of packs that really weren't what I wanted, and without bladders (~$30 to replace) I realized I should just suck it up and get the new version of the same pack. Other than the candy apple red, I'm super happy with it. 

No comments: